Friday, June 21, 2013

What's on my mind....

I've been in such a strange mood lately and I just can't find a word to describe it. I keep getting fixated on the things... silly things really but for some reason they all keep coming back. So I think I'll give you a rundown of "What's in Sydney's brain when she sits around a hotel room for a week"

1) Mary Blair. I feel like she is really always on my mind. She was a colourist for Disney for a while. Mary did concept art for Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland and Cinderella. She was also instrumental in the design of "It's a Small World" in Disneyland. Her use of colour has always inspired me and I think I could just look at her illustrations for hours. Here's a collection of my favourites...

 


(always gotta show some love to the gingers out there)
 
Hopefully now you can get a taste as to why I love her. Always my artist of choice. I love how playful they are. Pure perfection.
 
2) I keep picturing my home. Now, you must now, I don't actually have a home yet. Since being married my husband and I have slept in 11 different locations and my address is somewhere in Deer Park, Texas right now. So when I say "my home" I mean the ideal when we finally move to Cedar City. It's strange having all of this hope and all of these ideas with no where to actually make them a reality. I picture my small kitchen with white cupboards, my 1950's table surrounded by 4 orange mid century modern chairs. My favourite is our bedroom. A homemade quilt on the bed, an odd eclectic mix of pillows and a vanity. I wish you could see the vision in my head. It's quaint. The garden out back is perfectly weeded and there's freshly squeezed lemonade in the refrigerator. It's a place where you walk in and feel love. I feel like all homes should be that way.
 
3) Judy Garland. Similar to Mary Blair, I feel like she is always in my mind. There is something about her that is just plain adorable. I've been watching "Meet Me in St. Louis" and "Me & My Gal" on repeat. I feel like she is one of the most underrated talents in cinema. When you hear her sing you can feel it, down to your core.. which is something rare. I like to think we would have been friends, if we'd ever met. I'm in the middle of "A Star is Born" right now. I encourage you to check it out. My absolute favourite of her is called "The Pirate". Judy Garland + Gene Kelly + Pirates= the opposite of a wasted evening.
 
4) Disneyland. I want to be there. Probably everyday. I want to live in New Orleans Square. I would live on Dole Whip and gumbo in those sour dough bread bowls. Parker probably wouldn't stand for it... but a girl can dream.
 
That has been my thoughts the past few days... in a nut shell. There's one more topic I've been thinking about a lot but I want to save that for a different day. My cute husband just got home so I'm going to say good night!
 
xoxo
Sydney L Alleman


No comments:

Post a Comment