Thursday, December 5, 2013

Oh life...

If you're here for profound musings today, you have most definitely come to the wrong place. I've been settling into my new life and it's amazing to me how quickly I adjusted to wifehood (and let's be honest a tinge of parenthood) and living in a new city. I've also been thinking about how ill prepared I was for this whole scenario. Don't misunderstand me. I do not regret my life one bit! It's miraculous and marvelous and kind of magic. There are just some things I did not know that I wish someone would have shared with me.

1) You will gain weight. There are no ifs ands or buts. You will. You won't mind at first but then you will mind. A LOT. Probably when you realize your fat pants are getting a little tight. That's just what happens when you start cooking for two and something that makes four servings is divided in half. Thankfully my husband hasn't commented on my new "fluff" or maybe he likes my butt getting bigger. Who knows?

2) Combining objects and habits can be hard. Parker has this horrible picture of two raccoons. He loves it. I hate it. I wanted it no where near our apartment. I seem to have won that battle but trust me, there are others I lost. I'm kind of a selfish girl and I forgot that the apartment is our place to share. Parker will say that ultimately I make the decisions there BUT it took me a bit to realize that he should be able to contribute too... even if I end up with raccoons fishing on my bathroom wall. Also no matter how hard you beg, he probably won't put away the toothpaste tube... and that's the life you chose. Hopefully our problems stay toothpaste tube sized.

3) Compromising will happen a lot. Sometimes you want to have an adorable Christmas Card. Sometimes your husband won't agree unless you wear awful awkward sweaters. So you've got to settle for awkward. Fortunately for me, I love awkward and you end up with a lot of hilarious edits.

4) Finding couple friends is hard. That's all there is to it.

The point is, there are stolen sheets and arguments over raccoons but life is so happy. I've always said that you make your life, you forge the life you want. I'm loving mine. I married a dreamer... a sometimes grumpy and goofy and super adorable dreamer, but a dreamer nonetheless. I can't wait to see where we end up.
Thanks for listening.

Much love from my home to yours,

Sydney L Johnson-Alleman

No comments:

Post a Comment